10 things you didn’t know about One Night Kwa Mxolisi
With Trackers star Sisanda Henna (who also directs the film) in the lead, alongside Donovan Goliath, Linda Mtoba, SAFTA award-winning actor Motlatsi Mofatsi and more South African talent, One Night Kwa Mxolisi follows a formerly semi-successful rugby player who invites his friends to the opening of his new restaurant. But after one too many drinks, truth-bombs are thrown and friendships get tested.
How did the cast and crew film during the Covid lockdown? Where did Donovan Goliath’s rap come from? And why do the couple Funi and Brian seem so familiar?
Here are the answers to questions like these, plus some gems that you never even thought to ask.
1. Name change: The movie was initially titled Good Boys and was commissioned as a kykNET movie.
2. A year to write, two weeks to film: Written by Marvin Lee Beukes (Charlton in DAM) and Johan Cronje, the film took a year to write, while filming took only two weeks as the film was shot in one location.
3. Keeping it in the family: Sisanda’s first-born son Micaiah Henna is in the film and plays the role of son Olwethu aka Olly, sharing a few scenes with his dad.
4. Body double: Post-production editor for the film Kagiso Latane acted as a stand-in while Sisanda filmed his acting scenes, and he would wear a shirt similar to Sisanda’s for continuity.
5. Testing chemistry: For talent casting, Sisanda Henna and casting director Ayanda Makayi held screen and chemistry tests to secure the stellar cast featured in the movie. Sisanda had the vision in terms of the type of characters, and Ayanda brought the vision to life.
6. Location: The film was shot in 27 Boxes in Melville, which was closed due to Covid-19. The concept of the restaurant, MXO’s on 4th, is based on Henna’s brother’s bistro, Blaque in Bryanston. The original restaurant in the movie is set in Parkhurst on 4th but the script was adjusted to reflect it as being in Melville.
7. Not just a funny man: Ant’s (Donovan Goliath) rap went off script and was kept in the movie. Donovan wrote the lyrics himself.
8. Springbok inspiration: The leading character’s name was meant to be Siya … yes, inspired by Siya Kolisi.
9. Debut film: This is Donovan Goliath’s debut as an actor in a film.
10. Star power: The couple Funi (Fulu Mugovhani) and Brian (Nyaniso Dzedze) are inspired by SA’s power couple, Zam and Khensani Nkosi.
One Night Kwa Mxolisi is streaming on DStv online and on Showmax.