5 shows shot and set in Cape Town
If you’re watching an international show and have to do a double-take because it looks suspiciously like Cape Town, chances are excellent that you’re not seeing things and that these big-budget, star-studded series have travelled halfway across the world to film down in the Western Cape.
Here are a few other series that were shot in Cape Town, whether you realised it or not.
Noughts + Crosses (Showmax)
The dystopian alternate-universe drama series was filmed almost entirely in Cape Town, and the highway, the inner-city streets and alleyways and castle feature prominently. And they fit with the vibe of the show, where the world as we know it is grouped into the upper-class Crosses and lower-class Noughts.
While Table Mountain isn’t called “Table Mountain”, it’s clear as day as the two social structures battle it out.
Tali’s Wedding Diary (Showmax Original)
SA is packed with wedding venues, but when you’ve got the Cape winelands and Table Mountain as your backdrop, you’re doing it right tying the knot in the fairest Cape.
That’s the plan for Tali (Julia Anastasopoulos – the creative genius behind Suzelle DIY) in this mockumentary series about the mega-diva Sandton princess who swaps the financial capital of the country for the larney lot down at Cape Town’s white-sand beaches. Beautiful venues aside, not everything goes Tali’s way as she heads to the altar to say “I do” – prepare for jokes aplenty as Cape Town shines bright in Tali’s Wedding Diary.
M-Net’s adaptation of Deon Meyer’s novel of the same name is packed with local and international stars, like Rolanda Marais and James Gracie (the locals), and Ed Stoppard and Tamer Burjaq (the internationals). It’s set in “Africa”, which is an enormous place – an entire continent, actually – but a lot of the action takes place in Cape Town, where it was shot.
It’s dark, given that it’s telling the story of poaching and other illegal activities that take place in the shadows – but you’ll definitely spot a number of Mother City landmarks as the action rolls out in the five-episode series that was backed by international studio Cinemax.
The Beautiful People (2019, Showmax)
Cape Town is SA’s jewel, right? So it makes sense for shows with pretty people to head to the city for filming… like the model participants on this reality show hosted by Nicky Greenwall.
And we do mean “model” – they’re international hotties who’ve moved to the Mother City for work and they’re letting the cameras go into their home as they prepare to glitz, glam and strut their way down the catwalk and in photoshoots, all in the Mother City area code.
Black Mirror S3, episode 4 (Netflix)
Season 3 episode 4 of the British sci-fi series looked so very familiar because it’s packed to the rafters with Cape Town scenery. The distinctive exterior of Somerset West’s famous Waterkloof restaurant becomes the exclusive healthcare facility where Kelly (Gugu Mbatha-Raw) is living out her last days.
The Twelve Apostles mountains take centre stage in the beach argument scene between Kelly and Yorkie (Mackenzie Davis). There’s plenty other sights that locals will know. And anyone who’s watched SA TV in the last 20 years will remember Colin Moss from Season 3 episode 1, which was also filmed down in the Mother City.
Cape Town sometimes gets dressed up to look like a million other places in the world. Did you know that these were all filmed in and around Cape Town?
- Black Sails Seasons 1-3: It was made to look like pirate mecca New Providence, Bahamas
- Homeland Season 4: Cape Town doubled as Pakistan as Claire Danes took her character Carrie Matheson on a terrorist hunt with Rupert Friend as Quinn
- Outlander Season 3: The Black Sails set was used for the time-travelling fantasy series to look like the Caribbean… somewhat… as well as Stellenbosch University
- Good Omens Season 1: the sci-fi angels and demons series features loads of Cape Town scenery… it’s just not set in the Mother City
- Warrior Season 1: The Bruce Lee-created series might be set in the Wild West and San Francisco but it was filmed entirely at Cape Town Studios
- Troy: Fall Of A City Season 1: Yip, the desert setting is all on the outskirts of Cape Town and the surrounding mountains, so there was no need for costly CGI special effects
- Origin Season 1: The sci-fi series sends Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy in Harry Potter) to a desolate new world where people are establishing a colony and starting over.