BET Africa recently announced that Lebo Mathosa will be portrayed by seasoned actress and musician KB Motsilanyane and reality star Bahumi Madisakwane in the upcoming biopic of one of South Africa’s most adored musical icons.
Dream: The Lebo Mathosa Story will see the talented pair depict different stages of Mathosa’s incredible rags-to-riches life story.
The six-part series illustrates the life and times of the celebrated musician. The story begins in the heart of the 90s during the kwaito evolution when Mathosa rose to fame and became a South African icon and role model for the youth. She was renowned for her unapologetic demeanour, provocative dance moves, edgy fashion sense, trendy hairstyles and infectious tunes.
“Walking in Lebo’s shoes is definitely one of the greatest things I have ever done,” says KB Motilanyane
KB on portraying Lebo
KB Motsilanyane plays adult Lebo as she experiences the highs and lows of the music industry, which placed her as an icon on the global stage. Bahumi Madisakwane is the youthful Mathosa as she starts her journey.
“It’s not an easy journey to play this character because it’s beyond imagination, larger than life and every single thing is a new experience. Walking in Lebo’s shoes is definitely one of the greatest things I have ever done,” said KB Motsilanyane.
Bahumi’s fondest memory of Lebo
“The fondest memory I have of Lebo Mathosa was from when I was five or six, and we went to the Rand Easter Show, a show where she and my father were performing. I remember she was this amazing powerhouse on stage and was always so maternal and protective over me, and I think that is why I really want to tell her sincere, humble and emotional side.”
Additional cast members
The biopic features a star-studded cast of seasoned actors.
- Connie Chiume – Known for her work on Black Panther and Grassroots, Connie plays Ma Mathos
- Sello Maake Ka-Ncube – He’s a household name with a body of work that spans two decades and plays Pastor Maseko. Some of his more recent work includes roles on shows such as The Herd.
- Amstel – No stranger to the entertainment industry, and the only remaining member of Afro-pop group 3Sum, Amstel is Koko.
- Khabonina Qubeka – Look out for professional choreographer and fitness bunny Khabonina, who has appeared in movies such as Dora’s Peace and She is King.
- Nyaniso Dzedze – Nyaniso, who is also a dancer/choreographer and theatre actor, brings his talent to the forefront as Tebza.
- Peter Sephuma – It’s a mini-reunion between Peter Sephuma and KB. They played husband and wife in Rhythm City for many years before leaving the show. Peter is Pa Mathosa in the biopic.
- Mmarona Kgwele and Unathi Fatuse – Newcomers Mmarona and Unathi feature as Phindi and Teen Nobomi.
Where to watch Dream: The Lebo Mathosa Story
“This biopic is a celebration of black excellence and depicts intimate moments in Lebo’s journey. She was a pivotal force in the entertainment industry and we are honoured to have partnered with local producers and the Department of Trade and Industry in telling this authentic African story while opening up the industry for fresh young talent,” said Monde Twala, Vice President for Youth, Music and BET at Viacom International Media Networks Africa.