In case you’re not familiar, DStv Now is the online version of DStv. If you are a DStv subscriber, sign up for DStv Now and you can watch the same channels and shows while your decoder stays plugged in at home. DStv Now enables you to watch on your computer or laptop, your Android or Apple device, most smart TVs (Samsung, LG and Hisense) and on Xbox as well.
Not all heroes wear capes… but most of these do
It’s raining superheroes on DStv Now this month, with the latest seasons of most of the characters in the Arrowverse coming to the platform. It kicks off with Supergirl, with lashings of Arrow, The Flash, Black Lightning and DC’s Legends of Tomorrow. Plus, the final season of Gotham (we have a serious soft spot for this dark crusade of a show).
We do our best to pick the plummiest new series, movies and reality shows coming out in May from DStv’s hundreds of channels. It’s a big job but we curate with love. This list is for Premium subscribers, but where something cool is coming to DStv Compact, we mention it.
* Plum Picks in bold
Is’thembiso S3 – Episode 23: Vivian wakes up in Kero’s bed. Kandy makes a life-changing decision. Indy deals with the hardships of being an illegal immigrant.
Papa Penny Ahee! S3 – Papa Penny is serious about taking the second wife and pays his sisters a visit to hear their opinions on the matter. Papa Penny bumps into an old friend who is a bubblegum music legend.
Arendsvlei – Are things heating up between Wesley and Lee-Roy? Beatrice makes an appearance at Wendy and Ruiter’s party but notices something is wrong. Will she be able to figure things out?
Is’thembiso S3 – Episode 24: Sne supports Kandy’s decision. Pastor Absalom is troubled by Lihle’s plan, and Ma Dolly hears shocking news.
Maak My Famous – Contestants from Stellenbosch, Potchefstroom, Uitenhage and Ocean View compete for a spot in the Top 20. Groups, duet dancers and even rappers are in the mix.
- The Orville S2
Lokshin Bioskop: Mama
- The Inventor: Out For Blood In Silicon Valley (2019)
- The Herd S2 – Episode 5: The truth about Smanga and his intentions becomes clearer to Muzi and the family and they try to figure out a way to get him out. The farm is falling apart and the impact of it is rippling through the family as they seek a solution.
I Feel Pretty (2018)
Unfriended: Dark Web (2018)
The Elephant and The Butterfly (2017)
Dinner Date: South Africa S1 (available to Compact subscribers)
The River S2 – Episode 71: Zweli tries to cope with some unexpected news. Beauty tries to awaken Paulina’s sense of community, but little does she know that Cobra will unwittingly do it for her.
I Can Only Imagine (2018)
Stella’s Last Weekend (2018)
Die Siener – Cindy is looking for love and has come to Gerald for some fortune-telling assistance.
Bobby en Karlien: In Jou Skoene S2
- The Bachelor SA S1 – Two-hour finale!
Maak My Famous – The last 5 spots are available in the Top 20. An 11-year-old guitar player, dancers and even an opera group perform for the audience vote.
HBO’s Camping S1
Deception S1 (now available to Compact subscribers)
- Kom Ons Braai: Kampioene S1 – Super-braai-master Kobus Botha rounds up the champions of the previous 12 seasons of this popular show to find the ultimate boss of the braai, while we find inspiration for the weekend ahead.
Land en Strand S1
- Charmed S1 – A reworking of the cult 90s fantasy series of the same name, this show brings the Charmed Ones to modern times as three half-sisters suddenly find themselves thrust into a world of demons and monsters after the unexpected death of their mother. The sisters are highly intelligent, fierce feminists and the discovery of their magical powers allow them to battle not only the magical beings bent on their destruction but social injustice as well.
- Stroomop (2018) – Bring out the tissue box for this moving flick about five women from different walks of life who find themselves trapped in a raft on the Orange River. As they are left to their own devices to survive in the wilderness, they begin to realise that their struggles have prepared them for this exact moment.
I Am Somebody’s Child: The Regina Louise Story (2019)
Lokshin Bioskop: Love Bite
- Boer Soek n Vrou S12 – 10 new farmers will be hoping for bumper crops and fields full of romance and love. Don’t miss the first episode, when presenter Leah will introduce them all and catch us up on the ins and outs of the whole process.
- Steel Country (2018) – When a troubled small-town sanitation worker becomes obsessed with unravelling the mysterious events surrounding the disappearance of a local boy, he risks upsetting the powers that be and becoming a target himself. 93% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Traffik (2018) – Paula Patton and Omar Epps star in this intense thriller that tackles the horrifying yet all-too-real topic of human trafficking.
A Million Little Things S1 (now available to Compact subscribers)
Journey’s End (2017) – On the 100th anniversary of the end of World War 1, this superb retelling of RC Sherriff’s classic 1928 play depicts the futility and impending sense of dread experienced by the C company as they take their place in the trenches of northern France to await the arrival of the German forces.
What Lies Ahead (2019)
Makietie Makers S1
Narco Wars: In Their Own Words (Special) – DEA agents and the Colombian police force finally brought down the world’s most feared drug cartel and its boss. Pablo Escobar’s drug empire spanned two continents and his reach could be felt even within law enforcement agencies, with the many officials on his payroll. His cartel reportedly supplied 80% of the cocaine smuggled into the US, and at the height of his empire, Escobar’s personal income was estimated at over US$2 billion annually.
The Bachelorette Australia S4 (double-bill)
- Deep State S2 – Partially filmed in Cape Town, season two of this nail-biting political spy thriller introduces a new main character – ex-CIA agent Nathan Miller (played by Critics’ Choice Winner and Emmy-nominated actor, Walton Goggins), who is called to action when the deep state in Sub-Saharan Africa’s plan is threatened. It’s a plan that includes plundering the area’s natural resources – the first dirty war over clean energy.
Die Siener – One of Gerald’s clients, Jan, believe that bad luck is haunting his family and he visits Gerald for an antidote. Gerald also takes on a poltergeist in a house in Alberton… but is it the end of all of the strange events taking place there?
- Survivor SA: Island of Secrets – This season, the lush islands of Samoa in the South Pacific will host the South African version of this addictive international reality series, and the sixteen new castaways are ready to battle it out for the title of Ultimate Survivor. Nico Panagio returns as the host and of course, there’ll be no shortage of backstabbing and blindsiding, with the creators already hinting at unexpected surprises in store.
One Night with My Ex – Thuli and Master’s love grew cold and the couple found themselves living together but leading separate lives. Can they save their 16-year relationship after spending one night together?
- Deutschland S2
Lokshin Bioskop: Magenge
The Herd S2 – Dumazile has taken matters into her own hands with regards to her relationship, but the results are not what she expected. Ayanda decides the only way she’s going to get what she wants is to do as the witches say. The Mthethwa family is now under threat from all sides.
- The River – This week, Beauty brings Paulina shocking information, meanwhile, Mbali and an old frenemy turn to desperate measures.
Binnelanders – There’s a big storyline coming up this week and you don’t want to want to miss it – particularly the episode on Friday 24 May when an explosive revelation is made. Karli hasn’t had the best of luck when it comes to her love life. The men she has chosen to share her heart with have always let her down in some way, with the exception of Quinton Meyer (Ramey Short). But now that she and Quinton are no more, and she is trying to move on with psychiatrist Ben Geldenhuys (Rowan Cloete), it seems that her luck might have changed – until she finds out the secret that Ben has been hiding from her all along. How will Karli react to it? And how will Ben react to Karli’s new-found knowledge?
Suidooster – This week a desperate Ian tries to save face as a shock revelation hits the October and Jacobs family. Justin’s modelling career is gaining momentum but Blaise just puts even more pressure on him
Maak My Famous – In this week’s episode, the first 10 contestants of the already-brilliant Top 20 will compete for a coveted spot in the Top 10. The audience gets to choose four contestants and then Emo will use his EMO-ticket to give a fifth contestant a second chance.
Possum (2018) – This disturbing and compelling British psychological horror starring Sean Harris (Lane in Mission Impossible) racked up awards at the Brooklyn Horror Film Festival last year. It’s a deadly-serious and deeply unnerving examination of the legacy of cruelty and abuse that plays out when a failed puppeteer returns to his childhood home, where he must face his evil step-father.
Family Affairs S1 – The Shrivastavs are a typical middle-class family in India and matriarch Shanti keeps a firm hand on her family’s lives. Her son’s marriage introduces a new daughter-in-law into her home, bringing conflict and tension that threatens to tear her family apart.
My Kitchen Rules Australia S10
The Hurricane Heist (2018)
Die Spreeus – A wealthy media magnate’s young wife, Yvonne, disappears during a magic show. When she does not return, the Spreeus are called in. They suspect that they are being taken for a ride until she turns up a few days later – with one minor difference.
Papa Penny S3 – He’s recently made the news for his feud with Julius Malema (which he now says he has laid to rest), which just goes to show once again that if there’s one thing Papa Penny cannot be accused of, it’s being a shrinking violet. His outspokenness comes to the fore again this week, as he launches a family business and gives Mama Nomi a crash course on how it’s going to work. Later, Papa Penny pays a visit to his good friend, Tommie Van Zyl.
Hip Hop Squares S3 (now available to Compact subscribers)
Inside Incredible Machines S1
Finding Your Feet (2017)
- Chernobyl S1 – HBO’s new five part series Chernobyl is an intense and powerful journey into the events surrounding the horrific real-life disaster at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in 1986. Commanding performances by Stellan Skarsgård, Jared Harris, and Emily Watson bring the terrible events to life, from the human incompetence that led to the initial explosion, to the devastating long-lasting effects of the nuclear fallout that followed.
Meghan And Harry: A Royal Baby Story
Marriage Bootcamp Reality Stars S9
- Veep S7 – Veep is at it’s hilarious, offensive best in this shortened seven-episode season that promises all the next-level, trigger-warning, horribly hilarious humour the show is famous for.
- The Toe Bro S1 – Toe Bro takes gross to a whole new level, getting up-close and stinky with toes so grim, grizzly and gargantuan, they’ll send you running for a foot spa. From a dancer whose ingrown toenails are turning her passion into pain, to a freakishly swollen big toe affectionately dubbed “The Toezilla”, you never know.
Toks ’n Tjops – The team will make sure that you stay up to date with what’s happening in the Cricket World Cup every Friday night at 20:00, when they will be discussing all the highlights of the past week – the great catches, big hits, and big misses. Toks van der Linde, Breyton Paulse and Janina Oberholzer will also welcome several cricket legends into the studio to talk cricket.
Manifest S1 (now available to Compact subscribers)
Emshadwebi (from the Magic in Motion Academy)
- The Titan Games S1 – Hosted by the super-being himself, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, The Titan Games is a brand new reality “muscle-tainment” show that challenges everyday athletes to conquer “Mount Olympus” and join The Rock’s elite team of Titans.
- Zodwa Wabantu Uncensored S1 – If there’s one thing Zodwa Wabantu is not, it’s ordinary. Get a taste of her crazy life in this new reality show that reveals how she transformed herself from Rebecca Libram into the socialite and influencer she is today. From proposing to her man herself, to choosing her own coffin, following convention is never on this trendsetter’s agenda.
Castle Rock S1 (now available to Compact subscribers)
- Die Ellen Pakkies Storie (2018) – This award-winning local movie is based on the true story of Ellen Pakkies, a woman from the Cape Flats whose desperation with her son’s drug addiction eventually led her to do the unthinkable.
The Herd S2 – With the future uncertain in the Mthethwa family, Kayise leads the family in trying to resolve the problems on hand. Kayise is on a mission and tries every avenue to get what she is looking for, while Muzi grows tired of Ayanda’s pushiness, leading her to lean further towards the witches for help.
Uyajola Na? S1 – The South African version of the American show Cheaters, helping men and women expose partners they suspect of cheating. Undercover investigators track down and film the suspected cheaters – and then give their partner the opportunity to confront them.
- Madeleine McCann: An ID Murder Mystery – It’s been 12 years since three-year-old Madeleine McCann went missing while on holiday with her parents in Portugal, sparking the biggest missing-persons case in history. This 85-minute documentary takes a new look at her tragic disappearance and the massive investigation that followed but brought no resolution to a crime that left the world shocked and shaken.
Lockdown S4 – Things get difficult in the prison this week. Monde is doubting both herself and Masabatha. Maki is back in prison and is starting to gain power. Mazet realises that the only way to eliminate this threat is if she and Tyson work together – but will Tyson agree to this new arrangement?
Maak My Famous S1 – How do you combine stand-up, opera, rap, dance and song? Tune in to see what the Top 10 of the Maak my Famous reality show will dish up during this episode. The talent is raw, the stakes are high, and somebody will get to tour with Emo Adams for a year!
Night School (2018)
The Wedding Guest (2018)
- Game of Thrones: The Last Watch (2019) – British filmmaker Jeanie Finlay goes behind the scenes with the cast and crew of Game of Thrones to find out what it takes to make a fantasy epic on this scale. Share in the triumphs, challenges and heartaches, and see how the world of Westeros was brought to life.
- Gentleman Jack S1 – This eight-episode dramatisation of the life of the LGBTQ trailblazer and fearless female business pioneer is set in West Yorkshire, England in the 1800s – a time when “proper” society had very clear ideas about “a man’s job” and “a woman’s place”.
- The Blackheart Diaries (2012) – Serial killer and rapist Lazarus Mazingane has so far served 17 years of his 700-year sentence in Leeuwkop Maximum Security Prison in Johannesburg. Now a riveting documentary speaks to the Nasrec Serial Killer himself and to people who have known him, and asks the crucial question: can a serial killer ever be rehabilitated?
Die Spreeus – The supernatural investigators have their hands full in this week’s episode of this supernatural crime drama. An autistic boy, Henry, who was born in the caul, has the ability to see into the future. When he predicts his stepfather’s death, it leads to a series of unfortunate events that threaten his own life.
Run the Tide (2016)
The Chi S2
Uthando Nes’thembu S3 – Sne confides in MaCele about a childhood trauma, and Musa has a request that MaYeni is not pleased with. The weddings are on the horizon, while MaYeni’s plans come together and MaCele’s affairs seem to be falling apart. MaCele shares Sne’s aguish with Musa – what will he do?
Note: sometimes titles and release date change.