Feel like you’ve seen everything on TV? Think again – Showmax is bringing a whole whack of shows that you’ve absolutely, definitely never seen before to your screens in August, from brand-new HBO documentaries to new episodes of hit romcom Younger to the latest episodes of HBO’s Ballers to Jim Carrey’s new series to the SA movies you loved or may have missed at the cinema and cutting-edge local documentaries.
Dwayne Johnson’s Spencer is expected to start the season off with guns blazing as he attempts to settle his score with the NCAA. He wants to see justice served following his brother’s suicide – will he manage to do that?
New episodes land every Monday at 21:30 from 26 August.
Project Blue Book | First on Showmax
College professor Dr J Allen Hynek is recruited by the US Air Force to investigate UFO encounters in the 1950s. Inspired by the real-life top-secret Project Blue Book operation.
Younger S6, episodes 6-10 | First on Showmax
The cat is out of the bag about Liza’s age and her relationship with Charles, so they all live happily after, right? Not a chance. This season of Younger promises more drama than ever, with twists you never expected.
Binge these five episodes before the final instalments land in September!
Jim Carrey stars as Jeff Piccirillo, better known by his long-time children’s puppet show persona Mr Pickles. Jeff’s whole world starts to fall apart following the death of his oldest son.
New episodes arrive every Friday at 22:30 from 9 August.
Siren S2 Part B | First on Showmax
Ben, Maddie and Ryn are doing everything in their power to keep the group of mermaids who’ve arrived in Bristol Cove safe and hidden. But most of their efforts are thwarted by factors outside of their control.
Lean On Pete (2017) | First on Showmax
Based on the novel of the same name, this heartbreaking tale follows 15-year-old Charley who lands a job at a local racetrack. He bonds with an ageing racehorse bound for slaughter and goes to extreme lengths to save his life.
Who Killed Garrett Phillips? (2019) | First on Showmax
In 2011, the murder of 12-year-old Garrett Phillips rocked a small New York town. This HBO documentary examines the case and the inefficiencies of the DA and police that nearly led to a terrible miscarriage of justice.
Liyana (2018) | First on Showmax
Combining documentary scenes and animation, Liyana is described as a hybrid documentary. It follows the story of a young Swazi girl who attempts to rescue her twin brothers after they’re kidnapped. Inspired by real-life stories and executive produced by Thandie Newton.
Kanarie (2018) | First on Showmax
Comedian Schalk Bezuidenhout showcases his dancing and singing skills in this coming-of-age musical war drama. The film follows a young man’s journey to discovering who he really is through hardship, camaraderie, love and music.
Mayfair (2018) | First on Showmax
After losing his job, Zaid returns to his family home in Mayfair where his money laundering father is facing death threats. He has no choice but to get involved in a world he tried to escape.
Zog (2018) | First on Showmax
Zog is a young dragon determined to do well at Dragon School, where he learns about flying, roaring and breathing fire. But poor Zog experiences a few challenges along the way, many caused by his clumsiness. Based on the Julia Donaldson picture book.
Whispering Truth to Power (2018)
This thought-provoking documentary follows former Public Protector Thuli Madonsela during her final year in the role as she works to eliminate corruption from the Presidency in South Africa.
What else is on?
Here are all the movies and series confirmed for the month of August so far. Our Plum Picks are in bold. Please note that shows and dates were correct at time of publishing.
- Sweet Bitter: Tess moves to New York, eager to experience new things. She lands a job at a top restaurant and has to navigate life in the Big Apple along with the crazy world of the restaurant business. Based on the novel.
- Project Blue Book
Gangland Undercover S1-2
- Siren S2B
- Downtown Comedy
- Radio Raps Live: Laat Ek You So Sê: Radio Raps’ one-man show covers everything from current news and big events to random everyday things.
- Radio Raps Live: Dingetjies en Goetertjies: In this hilarious one-man show, Radio Raps takes a unique and hilarious look at life’s smallest irritations.
- Lean On Pete
- Whispering Truth to Power
Make-Up & Cigarettes
- Kidding S1, episode 1 at 22:30
- Who Killed Garrett Phillips?
- Live: EFC event in Time Square, Pretoria from 20:00
- Stroomop: A support group consisting of a doctor, two moms, a daughter and a suicidal woman go on an epic adventure learning valuable life lessons along the way in Ivan Botha’s directorial debut.
- Tertjag Die Melktert Kommissie & Klapjag Live: Two Afrikaans bands you haven’t heard from in a while, Die Melktert Kommissie and Klopjag, join forces for a two-shows-only reunion.
- The Queen S4: There’s never a shortage of drama in this fast-paced telenovela about two families living the high life while being involved in criminal activities.
- Utatakho S7: Nimrod Nkosi hosts a diverse group of people desperate to identify their biological fathers through a paternity test, including a girl who grew up suspecting her mother cheated with a man who shares her lover’s last name.
Waar Being Ek Soek S1-2
- Captain Fantastic (2016): In this thought-provoking drama about parenting, Viggo Mortensen plays a father who raises his children in the forest with very little contact with the outside world. But circumstances force the family to reintegrate into society.
Twee Blondines Op Toer
Konings van Kitskos S1-3
Story of Our Lives
Loving Pablo (2017)
- Kidding S1, episode 2 at 22:30
- Weg Agterpaaie S1-4: Weg! magazine’s Erns Grundling and Toast Coetzer take us with them on journeys to explore some of Southern Africa’s travel gems. They meet some incredible people along the way.
- Armand Kook Kaal S1: Actor Armand Aucamp hosts local celebs in his kitchen, sharing keto recipes and advice for healthier living.
5 Children and It (2004)
- Younger S6, episodes 6-10
- Ellen, The Ellen Pakkies Story: Based on the true story of Ellen Pakkies, whose troubled relationship with her drug-addicted son drives her to commit murder. Winner of four SAFTAs.
The Happytime Murders (2018)
Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House (2017)
- Kidding S1, episode 3 at 22:30
- Ballers S5, episode 1 at 21:30
- Kidding S1, episode 4 at 22:30